It’s here, it’s here, the best time of the year! Not kidding, I’m obsessed with all things New York Fashion Week. This is my third season attending/ working and every year I learn a few tricks to make surviving the longest week of my life a little bit easier.
It’s funny, the past two seasons I’ve attended shows as a guest instead of working on a PR team in production and I have to say. I think I definitely prefer working better. Not only do you get exclusive first looks at the hair and makeup but you can get the best view during the show too!
Yesterday I covered my first show of the season as part of my job with the MAC Cosmetics corporate team. It always amazes me how much work goes into a quick twenty minute show…but the devil really is in the details. Kaelen NYC was amazing, the clothing was fantastic (duh) but I LOVED the makeup look that MAC lead artist chose in conjunction with the designer.
Lady Danger lipstick paired with neutral and glowy skin really let the pieces speak and believe it or not…the nails were stick on! KISS was the show sponsor and the ImPress nails definitely impressed me…and you can pick them up right at your drugstore! If you want to follow along with my fashion week adventures, give me a follow on Twitter and Instagram for all of the backstage access you could ever want.
Now, on to that survival kit. One thing is for sure, whether you’re attending or working New York Fashion Week, you absolutely want to put comfort first. Tons of shows are packed into that one week with many of them being back-to-back. And throw out the idea that everything happens at Lincoln Center because it definitely doesn’t. In fact, unless it’s a huge designer the chances are you’re going to be hiking your butt all over Manhattan for a show (for example, the Kaelen NYC show was on the LES). I always have an arsenal of products on hand to make sure that I’m as prepared for ANYTHING, because life doesn’t stop during NYFW. Ever.
1. IPhone Apps + Charger: I CANNOT STRESS THE IMPORTANCE OF BRINGING A PORTABLE PHONE CHARGER WITH YOU. We all know the IPhone battery life is fucking terrible considering we drop over $500 on a phone, so plan ahead and make sure you charge up a little portable phone charger before setting foot out of your apartment. They’re compact and convenient to use when you’re on-the-go, guaranteeing that you’re never going to risk a dead phone. As for apps, let’s be real and admit that we mostly attend Fashion Week so we can brag on social media about how cool we are. Apps help edit your images to be Instagram-perfect to ensure lots of likes. One of my favs is Afterlight, another is Facetune…both are easy to use and can upload directly to any social media you want.
2. Face powder: Even if you don’t have time to throw on a full face of makeup, powder foundation is compact enough to keep in your purse to cancel out any redness and help fake a flawless base. I love my MAC Studio Fix powder because it eliminates redness without clinging to dry patches on my skin…plus the compact has a built in mirror, perfect for when you’re applying makeup in the back of a cab!
3. Chapstick: I never go anywhere without chapstick because I’m the queen of dry lips (sorry, that’s probably TMI). I love the Nivea Kiss of Shimmer chapsticks because they add a hint of color and sheen without going overboard…perfection in a tube.
4. Hair Ties: Nothing sucks more then when your onto your third show of the day and your hair is falling flat in your face. A pack of hair ties will save you from any last-minute drastic haircuts and will help you keep your strands looking nice. I love the creaseless ones just because if I end up taking my hair down, there isn’t a “bump” left from where the tie was.
5. Setting Spray: A setting spray can be a total makeup lifesaver when you’re facing ten or twelve hour days. Not only that, this particular mist is super cooling and I won’t lie…I love dousing myself in this whenever I just need a little refresher. Bonus? It comes in a travel size!
6. Glasses: If you wear contacts I highly recommend you throw your regular glasses into your purse just to be safe. Nothing will ruin your day more than tearing your contact while dashing around, and forgetting to pack an extra pair.
7. Protein Bar: You’d be surprised how easy it is to forget to eat when you’re busy, but it happens. And then you’re left feeling Hangry (hungry + angry) with no food in sight. Packing your favorite protein bar will help stave off hunger pangs until you can eat a proper meal. Quest bars are BOMB, my fav flavors are the Oreo cookie and Chocolate Chip. Nommmm.
8. Foot Petals: If you’re going to be spending hours on your feet, you better be wearing comfy shoes. These foot petals go into your shoe like an extra sole, adding just enough extra padding to ease some of the pain that standing for forever can cause. They’re super cheap and get the job done surprisingly well…find them at your local drugstore!
Are you attending any shows?
What are some of your survival tips?