Maybe I’m just a little delirious from my weekend binge-watch of House of Cards on Netflix (SHH NO FREAKING SPOILERS, I’m not done with Season 2 yet!) but I may or may not have a serious girl crush on Claire Underwood. She is everything that any female should want to emulate in the workplace only because she really has her shit together. Not only does she always look flawless, but she conducts herself with such decorum…how does that old Shakespeare quote go? “Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under it.” (Yeah, I just impressed myself too. Look at me go, and it’s MONDAY!)
I’m all about women in charge, in case you can’t tell. My current boss Jeannine (the genius behind Beauty Sweet Spot), is the epitome of what I strive to be in life. She takes shit from nobody and writes her own rules in a world that is honestly pretty cutthroat. She’s an awesome real-life role model whenever I shake myself out of my daydream to remember that Claire doesn’t actually exist.
So anyway, in honor of Claire Underwood kicking ass and taking names here are 5 rules straight from the bosslady herself that’ll propel you from lowly intern to CEO in no time. Take notes!
1. Because crossing your fingers is so not ladylike enough, always remember to cross your (most likely extremely expensive) high heels instead. It’ll bring you more luck, anyway.
2. Remember that nothing else matters but your own opinion. If someone is trying to belittle you, don’t hesitate to remind them that you’re the chick in charge and that you’re the one who needs to be impressed…the rest of the little people don’t matter. Don’t hesitate to put someone in their place, particularly if they deserve it.
3. Right. Again, be confident in yourself. Confidence is sexy, and it terrifies people. Particularly men.
4. Never hesitate to pay back someone who has wronged you. You are a god damn tiger who earned her stripes, take down anyone who stood in your way and made you feel like you weren’t worth the effort.
5. Well. I’m just going to leave this one right here….maybe this lesson is always to keep the boundary in sight and to not cross the line. Something tells me that murder isn’t okay, even if deserved. You know?
Happy Monday everyone! Go out and rule the world, one cup of coffee at a time.